RE: value from index block or table block

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 13:53:33 -0500

That makes sense. When you get a chance, I recommend you get a dump of that index block with your favorite block editor to see if there are any more entries in it. Also, I worry a bit about whether the index structure to that block or just the leaf block is corrupt. I believe you may be still hanging fire. So you might want to try validate index to see how bad it is. I guess I'd make a test physical clone of the minimal set to test that validate on, because I'm not sure whether your release might mark the index invalid or dump core if it fails.

Is transportable tablespace (TTS) instead of a complete reload a possibility? Perhaps you could make a Segway (stupid word autocorrects Segway to a leading capital, as if it was only a dangerous personal transportation device and not a normal noun, just like apple. Hmm, MS Word treats apple normally) a tablespace at a time patching up with dblinks to the new place until it is all there. Even though your total size is pretty big ( was it 15 TB?) if you dictionary is reasonably modest TTS shouldn't take too long.

Good luck. That sure is nasty.

(In 1988 I had the similar experience of support telling me to export/import. But my database was 7 GB.

I know, you can hardly build an empty dictionary that small now. But with 25Mhz chips and 5600 RPM nearly no cache drives, an export was a 7 day operation. No one will ever know how long the import would have taken because it never completed.

Regards,

mwf