Re: Technical illustrations

From: David Robillard <david.robillard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:56:14 -0500

Hello Martin,

> just wondering how others did technical illustrations? I'm immediately
> thinking "Visio", and although I have a license I don't like the Visio
> look to technical illustrations.
>
> I looked at dia (Linux geek!) but to me it's not appealing. I guess I
> want to be able to illustrate a network including all components without
> making it look like someone just knocked it up with Visio.

Try Gliffy [1] which is a web based diagram application. It's also available as a plugin for Attlassian Confluence, Google Docs and Jive. I would say it fits in between Visio and Dia. But IMHO, this is an area where Visio still rules as king. Nevertheless, Gliffy does a good job.

HTH, David

[1] http://www.gliffy.com/products/online/

--
David Robillard