Re: Standby Database performance

From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:20:10 +0000

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM, kapil vaish <kapilvaish1_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the answers, awesome team. Here are some answers to your questions .
> Manual means thru scripts only, this is not Dataguard . There is no issue in shipping time, we hae plenty archived logs available on the standby server to apply. The lag becomes 30-40 hours in 3-4 days and will continue to grow . This DR  is used for multiple purposes and we can not afford this much lag . This is 3 node RAC BTW.
> What we are trying to figure out is that if it is limitation of Oracle and it can not get any better or some other tunings can be checked. We are continously working with our storage/hw teams to take care of any contentions .

Hi,

Why you are not using DataGuard ? in that case you can use real time apply and it can work better than applying archive logs. From other side - did you ever try to check why standby is performing poor ? you can use v$system/session_event and try to figure out where Oracle is loosing time. It can be issue with applying logs but it can be issue with DBWR doing checkpoint as well. I have seen case where MRP was able to apply log in 20 s but checkpoint took 40 s.

regards,

--
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com