RE: value from index block or table block

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 04:44:47 -0500

This is a good case for
ALTER SYSTEM SET EVENTS '10046 trace name context forever, level 12'; drop table <table_name>;
exit;

to see what is actually going on. Since a drop is actually a long list of sql's and proc's, something like

drop
--+ gather_plan_statistics
<table_name>;

followed by an xplan last query will just throw an error.

Doing separate session traces for a pair of tables (one that you either create for the purpose of dropping or otherwise don't care about and the other the "won't drop" table) should give you a nicely different pair of trace files to look at to see where the wheels fall off. You'll want the test drop table to be of a similar table type, for example a regular heap table, a partitioned table, or an iot so the pieces of the drop litany that are invoked and used are similar.

mwf