RE: Protecting contents of AUDIT_FILE_DEST from 'oracle' OS user on *NIX...

From: Don Granaman <DonGranaman_at_solutionary.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:19:27 -0600

Be aware that there are some potential "issues" with syslog. Here are a few:

If AUDIT_SYS_OPERATIONS=TRUE, then the audit records generated by this will be sent to syslog - unless AUDIT_TRAIL=XML. Then they are in XML files and not appended to syslog.

If AUDIT_SYS_OPERATIONS=TRUE (and AUDIT_TRAIL=OS or DB), then the audit records in syslog generated by AUDIT_SYS_OPERATIONS will break long chunks of SQL up into multiple pieces - and you will need to piece them back together. In OS or XML files, long SQL will be in one long section (as of 10.2.0.4 at least).

For standard audit trail records to be sent to syslog requires AUDIT_TRAIL=OS. EXTENDED is not available for OS, so you cannot get SQLTEXT or SQLBIND.

You *can* set AUDIT_SYSLOG_LEVEL=<something.useful> and [AUDIT_TRAIL=DB,EXTENDED or AUDIT_TRAIL=XML,EXTENDED] to send stuff subject to AUDIT_SYS_OPERATIONS to syslog and "standard audit trail" records to DB or XML. This would "protect" only the former from the DBA though.

Don Granaman | Phone: 402-361-3073 | Cell: 402-960-6955 | Fax: 402-361-3173 | Solutionary | Relevant . Intelligent . Security