Re: Slightly-OT: Throw HW at a SW/DB problem

From: Johan Muller <johan.muller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:30:34 -0600

We just had SAP via ODBC &J DBD bring a HP superdome to it's knees when it generated 600 million connections to the SAP instance. A temp code fix to prevent multiple retries took this down to 100 ,000 over the same timeframe since the weekend and of course the all important SAP mofo patch download later this weekend will automagically fix bad breadth, low iq, bad relationships and all other perceived ills.

Let's go sit in the pumpkin patch Charlie Brown so we can all wait on Linus to say "good grief!"

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Rich Jesse < rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com> wrote:

> I think I'm gonna be sick:
>

> http://www.sqlmag.com/article/Performancetuning/ssds-performance-tuning-experts-milkman-139591
>
> This mentality **in a database professional** completely escapes me. It
> brings to mind that I just "upgraded" my Blackberry to one that has 2x the
> CPU and 5x the RAM -- and still works just as bad as the one it replaced
> (if
> not worse).
>
> Anyone from the Oracle camp advocating/predicting hardware-based "tuning"?
>
> Rant over.
>
> Rich

Johan Muller
Oracle DBA
817 | 247 | 5616 anytime.
or
8172475616_at_txt.att.net <2146762147_at_txt.att.net>