High availability/contingency for DNS?

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:24:49 +0000

Good evening (or good morning),

Reading (and writing!) a lot aboud database high availability I have always wondered how companies set up their DNS server(s) to provide resilience.

In many cases DNS failures have very negative impact on Oracle databases: either it's not possible to resolve addresses which is the same as a denial of service, to runtime problems with existing sessions.

I guess a HA or contingency strategy depends on the DNS server used, and I dread the majority of companies use M$ AD for this. I can think of setting up a company "root" DNS with multiple slaves per subdomain in bind, but that's just me thinking.

Thanks for sharing,

Martin
--

http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com