Re: Huge difference between sqlplus and sqldeveloper - sorting in memory vs disk

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:57:14 +0000

Denis,

On 15/11/11 15:51, Denis wrote:
> ... However I really cannot cotrol vendor's code.
It's a bug! Report back to the vendor that they *must* use explicit date conversions.

Many years ago I worked as a developer in a software house. We always used an NLS_DATE_FORMAT of dd/mm/yyyy. Everything worked fine for years, until we got our first customer in the USA.

They found some dates were not coming out correctly = 07/04/2010 was, in the US default format, July 4th and not April 7th. That definitely screwed our date based calculations (of interest!)

They logged a bug, we fixed it. No more assumptions that the whole world uses the same default date format as we did.

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar