Re: Using ODBC with Oracle -- is odbc.ini required?

From: Howard Lee Harkness <howard.lee.harkness_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:34:10 -0600

This is for a Linux system, and we want to deploy an embedded (daemon) application, and we don't want to have to maintain any external files (*.ini or *.cfg, etc.). My boss insists on an abstraction layer, so I thought about ODBC. ODBC is already a complete, proven abstraction layer that would almost certainly be more complete and robust than something I would come up with in the time allotted. The abstraction layer is for other customers who insist on using something beside Oracle (despite our recommendation).

Whether the restrictions make any sense or not, I'm stuck with them, and need to at least come as close to meeting them as possible.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Igor Neyman <igor.neyman_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think so.
>
> To use ODBC you have to create ODBC DataSource (using ODBC Administrator).
> odbc.ini lists created Data Sources and drivers associated with them.
> There is also odbcinst.ini which lists all odbc drivers installed on the
> system.
> There are also similarly named registry entries (odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini)
> storing the same info.
>
> It's not clear, what are trying to achieve.
> Are you trying to "by-pass" ODBC administrator?
> Is this for some kind of "silent" install?
> Probably possible, by hacking 2 files mentioned and also registry entries.
>
> Regards,
> Igor Neyman
>

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Howard Lee Harkness
> <howard.lee.harkness_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to set up ODBC to connect with Oracle and bypass the
>> need for odbc.ini? Ideally, I would like to not even have to do an
>> install on ODBC if that is possible.
>>
>> --
>> Howard Lee Harkness
>> (214) 390-4896