RE: RMAN CATALOG

From: Iotzov, Iordan <IIotzov_at_newsamerica.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:32:33 -0500

Hosting the RMAN catalog in a separate database is practically a must. The RMAN version should be the same or higher than the versions of the DBs registered there. If the RMAN repository resides in a DB that serves other purposes, then you may face restrictions and/or delays upgrading it. If you cannot upgrade your RMAN catalog, you cannot upgrade any of the DB registered there, which might be a big problem.

Since RMAN catalog and GRID are both "technical support systems", as opposed to "user-facing" systems, is would be fine to reside on the same box.

Iordan Iotzov
http://iiotzov.wordpress.com/