Re: Oracle On Windows Question

From: Phil Jones <phil_at_phillip.im>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:35:08 +0000

Good evening,

I'd probably go with Grid Control/EM for this - I'm a big advocate of using it across entire Oracle estates. You could also argue with the vendor that the agent install is part of the oracle install. It would make your life easier as you wouldn't have to pollute your mind with Windows :) Obviously this may mean extra licensing and business change, so might not be an option.

Having worked for a vendor that had the same stance, albeit on the HPUX/Solaris side of things, I understand the situation you're in. I also realise that the support contracts are mostly non-negotiable & you have no choice in the matter.

Not sure there's much else you can do otherwise. If you don't have access to the box and only have DB access maybe use DBMS_SCHEDULER which can be used to execute things (cmd.exe or powershell will be your friend) on the DB host. Probably the best route to go down.

Cheers,

Phil