Re: simple platform independent scripting language (now using Shell Scripts on *NIX)

From: Jeremy Schneider <>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:49:06 -0600

I would second this actually... there's a small learning curve to perl but it's really very easy to get started with basic stuff - and I think you'll find it a very worthwhile investment of your time. Basic scripts are just about as simple as bash, but there's lots more room for growth... and your code will run literally anywhere. :)

On 11/10/2011 12:18 PM, Nigel Thomas wrote:
> Really, why not Perl? It is included on many Oracle distributions (See
> ORAFAQ <>) so you can sidestep your Windows
> admins. It really isn't as complicated as all that! Just different...
> There is lots of information available via google - and a nod to Jared
> Still, who has written this up in much more detail than I ever could.
> Regards Nigel
> On 10 November 2011 14:51, Sven Aluoor <> wrote:
>> Hi
>> I am not an experienced programmer so I am searching for something
>> simple. In the past years I did all my scripting needs with Bash
>> (Shell Script) scripts and SQL*Plus. Now more and more Windows
>> platforms, so Bash doesn't work anymore.
>> What simple scripting language do you recommend me that runs on
>> Windows and UNIX? No Perl, it's too complicated.
>> Scripts are mostly in combination with SQL*Plus.
>> cheers
>> Sven

+1 312-725-9249

Jeremy Schneider