RE: Long term AWR retention

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:30:44 +0000

Just something else to keep in mind – it can take a significant amount of space to store a lot of history, especially if you increase the frequency of snapshots to 15 minutes like I do and run them 24x7. On one of my systems the perfstat schema is about 12GB for approximately 6 months of snapshots taken at 15 minute intervals 24x7. I’m guessing AWR would be similar. I know 12GB isn’t huge by today’s standards, but just something to consider. If you use statspack you can cut down on the space consumption by increasing the thresholds for the top SQL that is captured. Tim Gorman has a good script for that here: http://www.evdbt.com/spparms.sql

I think you can do the same thing for AWR but can’t remember for sure off the top of my head.

Regards,
Brandon

From: Charles Schultz [mailto:sacrophyte_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:38 AM

What is the real downside to setting retention to something, like, 10 years?

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Nov 10 2011 - 12:30:44 CST

Original text of this message