Re: 2 CPU Dual Core vs 1 CPU Quad Core

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 14:16:04 -0500

Jeff,
Perhaps the old server OS had been tuned and the new server OS is using factory defaults?
Are you using Large Memory Pages on the new server? Is the filesystem cache off?
Have you gathered system statistics on the new server - noworkload for starters?

Are the storage configurations different? Perhaps the old server was configured by a member of the BAARF party using dedicated SAS RAID controllers and the new server's storage is sharing an iSCSI SATA RAID6 tray connected by single GigE iSCSI where file, email and backups also reside?

Default firmware versions for the BIOS, RAID and Ethernet controllers could also be to blame.
I've observed increases in throughput (nearly an order of magnitude) over 10 GigE iSCSI after a change in firmware and network drivers.

Paul