Re: ora 12154

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 15:23:10 -0600

I find that difficult to follow.

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

says the service name is incorrect. Which implies that you are not getting TO the listener. There is no attempt to log in because the system does not even know which in system to log in.

Ignoring the password, any chance you can copy-paste the username. Is there ANY chance that you had an '_at_', '/' or shell-parseable character in the username or password?

Did you try the 'safe' connect method:

     sqlplus user_at_{connect string}
or just

     sqlplus user/pass_at_{connect string}

You also don't specify whether you are using the TNS connect method or some EZConnect method. For TNS, the {connect string} looks up the target in the tnsnames.ora, whereas EZConnect allows you to specify the 'JDBC' style string after the _at_.

A 12154 usually implies that you are using the TNS method and it could not find the entry in the TNSNAMES.ORA, which in turn implies that the username/password is parsing incorrectly before it gets going.

/Hans