Oracle Named User Licensing

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 08:07:40 -0400

We have been looking around for all the rules surrounding named user licenses. I already know about definitions, and minimums and what constitutes a user etc. But there seems to be some details that are left out of most documents I have discovered say on oracle license management services, ( http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/license-management-services/index.htm, http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/sig-070616.pdf )

Specifically, I am more concerned with the minutia, such as 'is the list of named users' supposed to reside in a file, and in a specific directory, (or in a desk drawer). Since the licenses are based on CPU, is every virtual server supposed to have this list/file. So forth and so on.

We are getting ready to discuss this with oracle so we will get the answers anyway, but this is actually faster. (If you have ever asked specific licensing questions to oracle sales then you know it can take awhile for them to get back to you, or set up a meeting).

Thanks,