Re: Large IN LIST in an OBIEE query

From: Greg Rahn <>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:13:12 -0700

I know there have been numerous comments on possible solutions thus far, but I'm going the opposite direction (not *what* is being done, but *why* it's being done):
Where does this list come from?
It's probably safe to say no user keys in 1000 values, so do they have their own discrete list they copy/paste or is it a hard coded discrete list in OBIEE?
Either way, it seems it would make more sense to have that in a table, which seems to avoid the problem you observe, no?

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 1:50 AM, Chitale, Hemant Krishnarao <> wrote:
> I have a few OBIEE queries that "perform poorly".  Apparently, the users
> are allowed to "insert" a list of values to query for.  OBIEE then
> constructs the query with a large IN LIST.
> If I move the IN LIST values into a temporary table and then join the
> temporary table, I get better performance.  However, making this change
> in OBIEE requires a change to the OBIEE data model.

Greg Rahn