Re: CREATE DATABASE LINK privilege discussion

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:44:00 -0300

I think the problem runs deeper than the "create database link" privilege. You physically shouldn't be able to access prod from dev. They should be in separate networks (different data centers if possible) and firewalls should prevent any access to the production database servers that does not come on the listener port from the application servers or on ssh and listener ports from the DBA's machine (a VPN group, perhaps?). This may present ever you with a bit of a headache, but security comes first. Also, putting some fear of THE EVIL PIRATE NINJA HACKERS into your managers' minds would help you somewhat to achieve tighter security in your database environments. So just casually mention that you've been reading up on security and that there are a few modifications you'd like to make to the current security policies (hardening) and casually leave a newspaper clipping about the latest Anonymous hack or whatever. As David so eloquently put it: your problem is political, then fight politically.

Also, having the password for that use change every say, 15 days, with about a full day to unlock it should it ever become locked and a 10-wrong password attempts limit in the profile would probably prove too much of a haggle for the developers... then again, it could cause you some political trouble and without a clearly defined security policy you could be "ordered" to remove this security measures from this particular user by a manager.

Ultimately, it's the managers' decision, you can alert them of what's happening, and keep it well documented (e-mail history, etc) and when they call you in the middle of the night because "production is very slow" you can reply with "I told you so, now, will you let me do what needs to be done?"

Also, being a DBA is much more than knowing how to manage a database... It's been my experience that EVERYBODY blames the database... noboy really asks for hard evidence when a developer says "the database is slow" or when a system admin says "the OS is fine, must be a database bug". But when you say "the interconnect is failing and here I have the logs that show it" they are always "hmm, I'm not sure, perhaps you can open a case with Oracle"... so you need to know how to handle people and how to manage managers... which is kind of ironic, and some would say manipulative... but who ever said life is fair?

Hth
Alan.-