Re: Oracle Home naming (and out-of-place patching)

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:25:20 -0500

Personally, I've always found the top-level folder name sufficient for this (db_1, db_2, etc) - because ultimately it's very difficult to rely on the directory name to completely identify what software is in the home. Even if you do add forth or fifth digits, that still won't accommodate for multiple homes at the same PSU level with different combinations of one-off patches applied. Also, this doesn't work for any systems where you only do CPUs since they don't increment the version number.

I was once in a position where we repackaged oracle binaries with various patchset & one-off combinations for internal distribution and I was looking for a good version numbering scheme for identifying these packages. You're trying to deal with the same core problem: coming up with a "name" (you're using directory instead of my version numbering) to intelligently and more easily identify the software installed on a system. I wrote a blog post with some thoughts; doesn't answer your question, but I think you might find it to be an interesting read - mainly the requirement list at the bottom of the post for a robust identification scheme.
http://www.ardentperf.com/2008/12/05/robust-software-version-numbering/

-Jeremy

On 10/28/2011 9:30 AM, Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com wrote:
> Metalink Note: 1189783.1 speaks of out-of-place upgrading and patching.
>
> I'm wonder if it might be a good idea to change the oracle home naming conventions to use four or five digits under product directory, out-of-place patching being a driving factor.
>
> Examples:
> /orasoft/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1
> /orasoft/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.2/dbhome_1
> /orasoft/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.2.1/dbhome_1
>
> I was wondering what a sampling of opinions would produce from this list.
>
> Five digits would represent PSU patching. In my case, once the oratab file is updated, everything else (scripts, etc), will set environment correctly, so no issues there.
>

> Joel Patterson
> Database Administrator
> 904 727-2546

http://www.ardentperf.com