Re: Pulling data into Oracle from SQL Server

From: Toon Koppelaars <toon.koppelaars_at_rulegen.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:21:30 +0200

Hi Niall,
I've succesfully used DG4ODBC in conjunction with (the obsolete, but still there) COPY command in sqlplus.
It achieved similar speeds of data transfer that I could get with using sqlplus' COPY command using straight Oracle-2-Oracle connections.

Toon

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Niall Litchfield < niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a free gateway product Database Gateway for ODBC that is OK for
> smallish amounts of data. For large amounts of data I'd probably either use
> SSIS on the SQL Server side, or if politics/business needs didn't allow
> this
> then I'd probably just write the data to a flat file and consume the flat
> files in parallel as an external table.
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Robertson Lee - lerobe <
> Lee.Robertson_at_acxiom.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Was wondering if anyone had experience of the best (and cheapest) way
> > to do this was ?
> >
> > On Linux with Oracle 11gR2. SQL Server is 2008 I think (maybe 2005)
> >
> > I know we can do it from the other side i.e push the data in from SQL
> > Server but it would be preferable to have this is as part of our
> > existing process so could be ran from within an Oracle package.
> >
> > i.e does some stuff in a proc then starts sucking some data from the SQL
> > Server DB.
> >
> > I was hoping to avoid any expensive "Gateway" products ?
> >
> > Cheers and TIA
> >
> > Lee

> > The information contained in this communication is confidential, is
> > intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be
> legally
> > privileged.
> >
> > If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
> > hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
> > communication is strictly prohibited.
> >
> > If you have received this communication in error, please resend this
> > communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy
> > of it from your computer system.
> >
> > Thank You.

> > --

> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> http://www.orawin.info

Toon Koppelaars
RuleGen BV
Toon.Koppelaars_at_RuleGen.com
www.RuleGen.com
TheHelsinkiDeclaration.blogspot.com

(co)Author: "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals"
www.rulegen.com/am4dp-backcover-text