RMAN duplication step by step

From: Andrey Goryunov <goryunov.oracle.l_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 00:16:20 +1100

Hello,
I am trying to perform copy of database that RMAN does with duplicate from active database but manually step by step. I took debug and trace of "duplicate target database to ... from active database"
and using contents of memory scripts repeated them manually once again

It all went almost fine until steps where controlfile being created, copies cataloged and data files switched to them.

Based on memory scripts contents, control file recreated just with system file
and other copied files cataloged. When I tried to switch datafiles to their copies manually
(after successful catalog operation) operation failed with:

RMAN> switch datafile 2 to copy;

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of switch to copy command at 10/25/2011 01:33:12
RMAN-20201: datafile not found in the recovery catalog RMAN-06010: error while looking up datafile: 2

It seems to me that it is not possible to add file through catalog and switch commands
when control file was recreated with only system file, but based on log RMAN somehow does it.

Do you know how RMAN does it and where is the problem in manual execution that I can not reach the same result.

Attached output of RMAN duplicate and log of actions for manual execution.

--
Thank you,
Andrey Goryunov