Re: Reinstall OS completely without reinstalling Oracle

From: Karl Arao <karlarao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 02:43:40 -0500

BTW, this may still be related to the OS upgrade.. I've read earlier this article which basically does updates on the kernel

Using Oracle Ksplice to Update Oracle Linux Systems Without Rebooting http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/ksplice-linux-518455.html

I thought of this article as a full OS upgrade just like your case.. but it seems like it is really just the kernel upgrade/patches..

then I tweeted _at_wimcoekaerts just out of curiosity.. @wimcoekaerts Do I still have to relink my Oracle Home even I use ksplice for OS upgrade? goo.gl/R13Op

this is his response _at_karlarao <http://twitter.com/karlarao> No. ksplice isn't really "os upgrade" in the normal sense. it updates the running kernel (in memory). no need to relink or restart

So on my notes on the section "APPENDIX A - Some FAQs about relinking" http://docs.google.com/fileview?id 5H46jS7ZPdJNGU0NDljZDktMzUwMC00ZWQ4LWIwZDgtNjFlYzNhMzQyMjg0&hl=en I had this question before:

6) What if I just did a kernel upgrade (2.6.9-old to 2.6.9-newer), and not a full OS upgrade (from oel4.4 to 4.6), would I still have to relink? The kernel upgrade just updates the
hardware modules (/lib/modules) which is not related to the gcc binaries or libraries used to compile the binaries of Oracle… the /usr/lib/gcc-lib is not affected when you do a
kernel upgrade…

Answer: If you are just upgrading the kernel, no need to relink. If it's affecting the system libraries, then you have to relink

-Karl

--
Karl Arao
karlarao.wordpress.com