RE: 11g ADR Confusion (Listener LogS, Trace File *LOG*)

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:44:19 -0500

Ok, so:
LSNRCTL> SHOW LOG_FILE = ...\alert\log.xml

*BUT* SET LOG_STATUS ON|OFF affects/creates/locks LISTENER.LOG file located in ..\listener\trace\ (as well as log.xml I assume).

I think Oracle fairly screwed that up.

If you're going to log something, log it in 1 place only.

If you insist on logging it in more than 1 place, make sure users can *see* that location within the configuration tools themselves (LSNRCTL).

I think this ADR idea needs some fine tuning.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-663-1673
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com<mailto:chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.

From: andyklock_at_gmail.com [mailto:andyklock_at_gmail.com] On Behalf Of Andy Klock Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 1:34 PM
To: Taylor, Chris David
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: 11g ADR Confusion (Listener LogS, Trace File *LOG*)

I run something like this:

lsnrctl set log_status off
mv listener.log listener.log.{timestamp} lsnrctl set log_status on

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com<mailto:ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>> wrote: So how do you roll it over then? Because prior to 11g we would do a set log_file <new log file> and archive the old one.

But *now* you _cannot_ do a set log_file in 11g with ADR enabled....So what's the solution?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355<tel:615-517-3355>
Cell: 615-663-1673<tel:615-663-1673>

From: andyklock_at_gmail.com<mailto:andyklock_at_gmail.com> [mailto:andyklock_at_gmail.com<mailto:andyklock_at_gmail.com>] On Behalf Of Andy Klock Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 1:18 PM
To: Taylor, Chris David
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: 11g ADR Confusion (Listener LogS, Trace File *LOG*)

The output in the trace directory is not what you'd expect by setting the trc_level. The listener.log in the "c:\oracle\product\11.2.0\db_1\log\diag\tnslsnr\{host_name redacted}\listener\trace" directory is there for backward compatibility (If you have old monitoring scripts or something) in 11g. It should contain the same contents as viewing the alert.xml listener logs via the adrci. Though it is still up to you to manage this trace file. i.e, rolling it over. The alert.xml files rollover automatically and are cleaned based on your purge settings in ADR.

Andy
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com<mailto:ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>> wrote: This ADR stuff in 11g is beginning to get on my last nerve. It looks like I have something configured incorrectly but I'll be hanged if I know what it is.

I have 1 listener called LISTENER.

I have set ADR_BASE_LISTENER = c:\oracle\product\11.2.0\db_1\log in listener.ora

Now:

LSNRCTL> show current_listener
Current Listener is LISTENER

LSNRCTL> show log_file
Connecting to ... {redacted}
LISTENER parameter "log_file" set to c:\oracle\product\11.2.0\db_1\log\diag\tnslsnr\{host_name redacted}\listener\alert\log.xml The command completed successfully

So, I go to that directory and I see hordes of XML files...Not really a problem since they are small.

Now:
LSNRCTL> show trc_file
Connecting to ...{redacted}
LISTENER parameter "trc_file" set to ora_7120_2748.trc

LSNRCTL> show trc_level
Connecting to ...{redacted}
LISTENER parameter "trc_level" set to off

LSNRCTL> show trc_directory
Connecting to ...{redacted}
LISTENER parameter "trc_directory" set to c:\oracle\product\11.2.0\db_1\log\diag\tnslsnr\{host_name redacted}\listener\trace

So I go to that directory:
C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\db_1\log\diag\tnslsnr\{host_name redacted}\listener\trace

dir:
Listener.log size 902 MB(!)

Why is listener.log file being written to in the trace directory?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355<tel:615-517-3355>
Cell: 615-663-1673<tel:615-663-1673>
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com<mailto:chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com><mailto:chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com<mailto:chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Oct 21 2011 - 13:44:19 CDT

Original text of this message