11g ADR Confusion (Listener LogS, Trace File *LOG*)

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:58:17 -0500

This ADR stuff in 11g is beginning to get on my last nerve. It looks like I have something configured incorrectly but I'll be hanged if I know what it is.

I have 1 listener called LISTENER.

I have set ADR_BASE_LISTENER = c:\oracle\product\11.2.0\db_1\log in listener.ora

Now:

LSNRCTL> show current_listener
Current Listener is LISTENER

LSNRCTL> show log_file
Connecting to ... {redacted}
LISTENER parameter "log_file" set to c:\oracle\product\11.2.0\db_1\log\diag\tnslsnr\{host_name redacted}\listener\alert\log.xml The command completed successfully

So, I go to that directory and I see hordes of XML files...Not really a problem since they are small.

Now:
LSNRCTL> show trc_file
Connecting to ...{redacted}
LISTENER parameter "trc_file" set to ora_7120_2748.trc

LSNRCTL> show trc_level
Connecting to ...{redacted}
LISTENER parameter "trc_level" set to off

LSNRCTL> show trc_directory
Connecting to ...{redacted}
LISTENER parameter "trc_directory" set to c:\oracle\product\11.2.0\db_1\log\diag\tnslsnr\{host_name redacted}\listener\trace

So I go to that directory:
C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\db_1\log\diag\tnslsnr\{host_name redacted}\listener\trace

dir:
Listener.log size 902 MB(!)

Why is listener.log file being written to in the trace directory?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-663-1673
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com<mailto:chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.