Re: Multiple databases in a RAC

From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 23:05:40 +0300

Hi,
We have a 8 node cluster environment with nearly 100 instances plus Oracle E-Business suite running across. As long the individual node can afford the resources for new databases, you could use one node to run multiple databases.

Regards,

Jaffar

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM, <daniel.hubler_at_aurora.org> wrote:

> Oracle 11.2.0.2
> AIX 6.1
> Peoplesoft HCM + ELM
>
> We have an existing 11.2.0.2 RAC + GRID cluster built to run Peoplesoft
> HCM.
> 2 nodes....active/active.
>
> We have been asked to install another Peoplesoft module (ELM).
> My recommendation was to construct a 2nd cluster to support the 2nd module
> and its database.
> So........I would end up with 4 nodes (2 for the HCM cluster and 2 for the
> ELM cluster)
> and these clusters would be distinct.
>
> I am being asked if it is possible to install the new ELM product on the
> existing nodes.
> That is..........a 2-node RAC cluster with 2 distinct databases and 4
> instances.
>
> This is not making much sense to me.....I am not even sure if this is
> supported/feasible.
>

> Looking for ideas on this.
> Any input appreciated.
> Thanks.

Best Regards,

Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE Director
<http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=19297:4:4640302666204919::NO:4:P4_ID:186>
Oracle Certified Master
(10g)<http://education.oracle.com/education/otn/shussain.html>
Co-author Oracle 11gR1/R2 RAC Essentials <http://link.packtpub.com/yNZicz>
OCP 8i,9i,10g & 11g DBA
RAC Certified Expert
ITIL V3 foundation certified
Oracle RAC SIG Representative for Saudi Arabian
region<http://www.oracleracsig.org>

Advisory & Governance Council for
VirtaThon<http://www.brainsurface.com/virtathon/advisorygovernancecouncil/>
I blog at  : http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/sjaffarhussain
Follow me on twitter : http://twitter.com/#!/sjaffarhussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."