RE: Backup best practice

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:03:54 +0000

Best practice I believe is to use both the recovery catalog, which you've hopefully replicated to another server in preferably another data center, and having it in the control file. We do routine restores of production databases to different machines every 6 months and intentionally don't use the recovery catalog. Here are the steps we follow:

rman TARGET / NOCATALOG
set dbid 3836706798;
run
{ set CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK   TO 'oracle8:[backup.tcprd1]tcprd1_%F.';   restore controlfile from autobackup;
}
alter database mount;

Obviously the dbid and file locations will be as per your environment, but this does work.

Richard Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/Na Team Leader