RE: primary keys and dictionary overhead

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:18:24 -0400

I know two... say financial apps that do not use foreign key constraints.... (oh you might find one or two). and the reason I am told this is so, is that the same app and tables can work in multiple DBMS's.

Hmmm.... I'm with Tom Kyte in that I'll analogize from his expert oracle book. Their 'different', so code for it.

But apparently, it is not necessary to take advantage of the individual strengths and differences in a DBMS as it is working for these vendors to have one basic set of code, and not individual sets.

So the point is that -- well, some of these guys have their reasons. Of course we all have our reasons for agreeing or disagreeing, the original architects are probably not even available anymore.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546