RE: RMAN duplicate using OLD restored backup on same server help?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:48:32 -0500
You didn't mention it, but did you restore the controlfile to TEST2 from TEST3? Duplicate won't restore the controlfile.
Did you catalog the backups on both databases? Both TEST3 and TEST2 need to be aware that the backups are there.
Duplicating from an older backup has been a pain for me. What I would do here is a plain ol' restore/recover.
I haven't been able to make DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT work in this situation, but a simple sql script will give you the results to copy/paste from:
select 'set newname for datafile '''||name||''' to '''||replace(name, '<old path>', '<new path')||''';' from v$datafile;
Then in RMAN, connected to TEST2 as your target, run
***Paste your SET NEWNQME results here*** switch datafile all;
recover database until SCN ***your SCN***; ***Log file statements here***
alter database open resetlogs;
The information contained in this message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity identified above. If the receiver of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to his/her e-mail address noted above and delete the original message, including any attachments. Thank you.
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Taylor, Chris David Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:10 AM To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: RMAN duplicate using OLD restored backup on same server help?
- I have an old backup I saved of a test database - TEST3 using an RMAN catalog.
- The backup information in the CATALOG has now been removed since the backup has been deleted from the primary backup location as part of subsequent backups.
- I have the original BACKUP SET from the backup I need to restore including the CONTROLFILE.
- I need to restore this BACKUP SET and backup CONTROLFILE to a *DIFFERENT* database (TEST2) on the *SAME* server
Here's what I have tried:
- Restore BACKUP SET files to original backup location including the backup controlfile
- Modify INIT.ORA file for TEST2 database for DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT
- CONNECT to RMAN CATALOG, TARGET and AUXILIARY databases
- I did a CATALOG backup piece for each piece
- Here's the output from LIST BACKUP http://pastebin.com/0rshnCeT
- Here's the duplicate RMAN script using SET UNTIL SCN http://pastebin.com/mTVttnxT
- I receive the following errors: http://pastebin.com/CZDYqjV2
What am I missing? I know it's something obvious.
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Oct 20 2011 - 10:48:32 CDT