Re: Multiple databases in a RAC

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:26:52 -0300

We use that set up for our dev environment. It's a two node cluster of the latest blades and wee have 3 RAC databases plus several single instances running on either node and it works. I'm not going to say it's a jumbo in performance, but it works and it's fairly stable (a couple of the database are pretty big too).
We are also planning on doing something similar for production, only with 3 or 4 nodes and have at most 2 databases per cluster. It's a matter of carefully considering the load on each database, but for us it makes sense as we have them all in single instance right now and doing this would give us a greater availability while not sky rocketing the cost.

I'm not entirely sure about this, as I'm not a lawyer and it's been a couple of years since last I read them, but if you have licensing to consider, then for a cluster set up it's the same whether you run 1 database or 50, you are paying for the processors. So having two different clusters would mean twice the licenses.

Cheers
Alan.-