Re: Multiple databases in a RAC

From: John Clarke <>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:37:16 -0400

Multiple databases in a cluster is certainly supported, and something lots of companies do. The decision of whether do proceed this way would depend on a number of factors (aggregate CPU requirements per database, interconnect chattiness per DB, maybe switch capabilities/capacities, how easy or hard it may be to provision storage for another set of clusterware, etc ...) - John

From: "<>" <<>> Reply-To: "<>" <<>> Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:09:29 -0400
To: "<>" <<>> Subject: Multiple databases in a RAC

AIX 6.1
Peoplesoft HCM + ELM

We have an existing RAC + GRID cluster built to run Peoplesoft HCM.

We have been asked to install another Peoplesoft module (ELM). My recommendation was to construct a 2nd cluster to support the 2nd module and its database.
So........I would end up with 4 nodes (2 for the HCM cluster and 2 for the ELM cluster)
and these clusters would be distinct.

I am being asked if it is possible to install the new ELM product on the existing nodes.
That is..........a 2-node RAC cluster with 2 distinct databases and 4 instances.

This is not making much sense to me.....I am not even sure if this is supported/feasible.

Looking for ideas on this.
Any input appreciated.