Re: Licensing Oracle SE One on VMWare cluster

From: Marcus Mönnig <mm_at_marcusmoennig.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:44:10 +0200

Hi William,

> I am confused.  Why can't you just buy 6 processor licenses of Standard Edition One Oracle and have at it with as many instances as you want on the 3 physical machines with 2
> sockets on each server?

Cost. :-)

Actually we would like to go for Named User Plus licenses, not CPU licenses. That would be cheaper already now and we might want to push in more physical servers into the cluster later and we wouldn't need additional (CPU) licenses with the existing NUP licenses.

From the Software Investment Guide:

"Oracle Standard Edition One may only be licensed on servers that have a maximum capacity of 2 sockets. If licensing by Named User Plus, the minimum is 5 Named User Plus licenses."

Rephrasing my question: Are we allowed to use SE One on a VMWare ESX cluster with 4 physical machines and 2 sockets each?

Cheers,
Marcus