RE: Oracle license requirements for unused options

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:39:05 -0400

:)

It did see the Automatic Database Diagnostic Monitor in 10.2.0.4... not sure of the difference.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:16 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Oracle license requirements for unused options

Revisiting this thread from back in May... Does anyone know of a method in 10g to check whether a Diagnostic Pack option was ever used? I'm concerned that someone might at some point have run an awrrpt on a dev database without realizing that required a license and want to check whether it has ever happened.

For 11g Oracle provides scripts to check this (option_usages.sql) but they don't seem to work in 10g.

Appreciate any help in advance.

BTW - people might find this of interest: http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/news/2240035131/Common-traps-in-Oracle-licensing-audits I have verified that when we uninstall certain options and then patch the database the options come back.

Thanks,
Jay Miller

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:53 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Also, even if you didn't install an option as a base install applying the 10.2.0.4 patch will install some options automatically.

The impression I'm getting is that whether Oracle charges for installed and unused options depends on whether you're on good terms with them or not.

From: Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com [mailto:Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com] Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:46 AM
To: Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com; norman.dunbar.capgemini_at_environment-agency.gov.uk; Miller, Jay; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Oracle license requirements for unused options

I think Brandon has a point. The management packs are all installed, and you must constantly go in and 'uncheck' them in EM. Oracle will install everything by default unless you can stop it, and for example 'partitioning' is used by EM, whether you use it or not.

So Spatial Data, or partitioning, OLAP, RAT, Data Mining... seem to go in easily enough, but have you tried to remove them (which includes checking that you are doing it correctly)?

Having said that, I removed OLAP which I believe was all I needed to have everything removed for 11g. But 10g can still display options from previous DBA as shown by Sqlplus when logging in, (so 'upgrading' would keep them).

Alas,

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Allen, Brandon Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:47 PM
To: Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini); Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Oracle license requirements for unused options

I'm still not convinced that a license is required for unused options. I think there is a key distinction between the documentation that mentions licensing based on usage and those that mention licensing based on installation. My interpretation is as follows:

  • installation-based licensing - only pertains to the main database server software, e.g. "Oracle Database SE/EE" must be licensed for all processors on the host where it is installed
  • usage-based licensing - only pertains to specific pieces of add-on functionality such as the extra options (e.g. Partitioning) and management packs (e.g. Diagnostics Pack).

I'm not positive if that's correct, so don't take my word for it, but everything I've read so far seems to be pretty consistent on those two points.

Regards,

Brandon