Re: Password file not getting updated

From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 23:36:23 +0530

Ram,
I do not think rman has to do with /usr/X11R6/bin directory, I belive X11R6 is related to xwindows server.

a random guess, is your new box a clone, virtual clone of some existing box on which you are restoring db stuff then assume this is new installation and check everything from the start..
thanks and take care..subodh
On 11 October 2011 21:14, Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Niall,
> I think you are right. When I launch rman it hangs. I went to the OH/bin
> and
> tried to launch it, it still hung. When I did 'which rman' I get this:
>
> [oracle_at_server]$ which rman
> /usr/X11R6/bin/rman
> So I checked that directory, everything is owned by root:
>
> [oracle_at_server]$ pwd
> /usr/X11R6/bin
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Oct 11 2010 gccmakedep -> archexec
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Oct 11 2010 xft-config -> archexec
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Oct 11 2010 xsetbg -> xloadimage
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4890 May 7 2007 xscreensaver-getimage-video
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179032 Oct 11 2006 xloadimage
> New product with different configurations.
>
> I have not heard of 'X11R6/bin' directory for bin files. This application
> installed oracle in its own way.
>

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Niall Litchfield <
> niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ram
> >
> > I imagine from the name and reference to Web Centre that the product
> > is Secure Enterprise Search (I hope it works better than searching
> > oracle.com or metalink but I digress). The Oracle database supplied
> > as a part of that product is intended to be backed up using old
> > fashioned cold o/s level backups along with core metadata that resides
> > outside the database - See for example
> >

> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E21698_01/admin.1122/e21605/tuning002.htm
> > . I'd hope that if the dbas are to be responsible for managing a new
> > application such as this a little bit of application specific training
> > might be made available. The Web Centre docs are available at
> > http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E21764_01/webcenter.htm for
> > reference and include SES documentation.

TRUTH WINS AT LAST, DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY