RE: Reading sequences is much slower in AIX 6.1 than Linux

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:11:59 -0400

Hermitize your sequences. I've previously published the instructions and scripts to do this seamlessly restoring your existing sequence definitions and parameters. Be careful, especially if you have auditing turned on, because you do not want any sequence generation going on if you include the step to rebuild sys owned sequences. I have tested this only through 11.1.x, but the fundamentals of this storage have not changed since V6. In OPS it was laughable to attempt more than 2 nodes without this fix.

If you rebuild seq$ one row per block you will ameliorate tendency to cross ping blocks for sequences. The root cause is likely some reduction in a sys sequence cache size or inclusion of ordering. (But I'm neither Oracle nor dev.)

If you write your own, remember to temporarily reduce your sequence cache size on each sequence if you need to avoid burning a bunch of sequence numbers on the restart.

Your mileage may vary. If you screw this up it is not my fault.

Regards,

mwf