Release space used by empty BLOB segments

From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:15:15 +0200

I have a partitioned (by week) table that holds data and images. The data is kept for 7 years (banking) while the images are kept only for one year.
The images are deleted by updating the fields to empty blobs. The tables has local indexes and a bunch of global indexes. The problem is that the empty blob segments are not released after their content id deleted.
  1. How can I release the unused space without making the global indexes unusable?
  2. Preferably while the users are working (but this not a must)?

BANNER

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bi PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production
CORE 10.2.0.3.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 10.2.0.3.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.3.0 - Production

--

Yechiel Adar
Israel

--