Password file not getting updated

From: Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 17:52:07 -0500

Listers,
We have a 10.105 database that was installed as part of the application install. We are unable to log into the database as sys user. The password file is there, it has been recreated etc. remote_login_pwd_file is set to exclusive. We are able to change the password of the sys user logged in as system user, but the change does not affect the password file at all. The timestamp on the password file does not change. To make sure we are checking the correct oracle home, I checked which sqlplus is being used in the operating system before getting into sqlplus. Has anyone seen such a case?

Thanks
Ram