Re: compatible parameter after upgrade

From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 06:00:38 -0700

Thank you Sidney for the links.
I was also going through this
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/intro.htm#CEGJDHGI and Table 1-1 gives the maximum value you could set. So in my case why would any one set 11.2.0.2.2 instead of 11.2.0 I understand we cannot revert it back to lower value once we bring up the database with the higher value.
This link above also says
controls the behavior of your database. For example, if you run an Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2) database with the COMPATIBLE initialization parameter set to 10.1.0, then it generates database structures on disk that are compatible with Oracle Database 10g Release 1 (10.1).* Therefore, the COMPATIBLE initialization parameter enables or disables the use of features. If you try to use any new features that make the database incompatible with the COMPATIBLE initialization parameter, then an error is displayed. However, any new features that do not make incompatible changes on disk are enabled.
*- Kumar*
*