RAC and FREELISTS/FREELISTGROUPS

From: Walker, Jed S <Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 21:16:49 +0000

We have a 10.2.0.4.0 RAC database that I'm currently building a new 11.2.0.3.0 RAC for. We will migrate to it one schema at a time using Data Pump. The current database has dictionary managed tablespaces that were created so that some objects could be created using FREELISTS and FREELISTGROUPS to resolve performance issues. Exact knowledge of what those were doesn't exist anymore; however, I believe it is related to notes I've seen regarding "high DML tables and a tradeoff between buffer busy waits and DML contention". From what I'm reading 11gR2 has done a lot to fix this issue, and unfortunately we don't have an environment to truly test beforehand.

Any knowledge and advice would be greatly appreciated.

  • Jed