Re: Timestamp used for messages in alert log after machine timezone change

From: Peter Hitchman <pjhoraclel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 22:09:18 +0100

Hi,
We do not explicitly set the TZ env variable. What I have found from looking in /proc/<PID>/environ is that Oracle background process PMON has TZ set to America/New_York, which explains why the message in the alert log are in US Eastern time and because we use automatic listener registration why the systimestamp via TNS connects returns that timezone.

What I do not understand is where this TZ setting comes from. Like I said I shut it all down after the timezone change, I even re-started "/etc/init.d/init.ohasd run", which was pointelles because that does not define the TZ env variable.

So where is Oracle getting this from? The /etc/sysconfig/clock file?

Thanks
Pete