Re: 11.2.0.3: Re-install grid and in-place upgrade of DB

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:49:21 -0700 (PDT)

> If you deinstall/reinstall the full GI stack and reinstall it
> afterwards, you will be able to use all the ASM disks - nothing to
> change there. Just the creation of cluster resources for
> DBs/Instances is needed.

Thanks Martin. We ran deinstall to deinstall Oracle DB software and then Grid infrastructure (GI), making sure the deconfig does not wipe out the ASM disk content. Now we're running the 11.2.0.3 runInstaller to set up GI. When it comes to the screen "Create ASM Disk Group", it found ASM disks with status Candidate. We choose /dev/mapper/asmvol1 and specify disk group name DATA, but get error:

[INS-30516] Please specify unique disk groups. Cause - Installer has detected that the diskgroup name provided already exists on the system.
Action - Specify different disk group.

The dilemma is that we want it to re-use this ASM disk, and preserve its content (OCR and vote disks and actual database data). We don't want to create a new disk. There's no way to bypass this create ASM disk group step. I opened an SR and will see. Thanks.

Yong Huang

P.S. The above was install and configure GI. If just installing GI software, it's installed fine. But going back to configure it, or upgrade, still has all kinds of errors.