11.2.0.3: Re-install grid and in-place upgrade of DB

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:27:24 -0700 (PDT)

I have a 2-node RAC 11.2.0.2 running on 64-bit Red Hat Linux. Documentation says we can't do in-place upgrade of the grid infrastructure, and we don't want to do out-of-place upgrade. So the only option is to deinstall 11.2.0.2 and reinstall 11.2.0.3. Can the new grid infrastructure work with the existing 11.2.0.2 database (which can be upgraded later)? If you know the page in the documentation, please share the URL. Thank you.

Downtime is not an issue. We can also extract ASM metadata with md_backup command inside asmcmd. But we don't know the data it creates can be restored by md_restore of the newly installed grid.

Yong Huang