RE: Awr waits over 100%

From: Kenneth Naim <kennethnaim_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 01:11:33 -0400

I understand that that due to the number of processors and waits that db time will and should exceed the elapsed time in a busy system. I've it as high as 3 times the processors time the elapsed time. But shouldn't the waits + cpu time be divided by the db time so it can't never exceed 100% unless it is double counting like Marcus said. If it were dividing by the elapsed time then it would routinely go over 100% but that isn't the case in hundreds of awr's I've looked at over the years. It begs the question isn't the double counting a bug? I'd understand if it was minor to rounding but to be off by such a high number makes the understanding the top 5 issues deceptive as one doesn't know how off they are and if they are in the correct order which leads to incorrect analysis and solutions.

Thanks.
On 2011-09-28, at 12:19 PM, Wolfgang Breitling wrote:

> I'd consider that "normal"
> While a system has only a limited ( to the number of cpus/cores ) capacity
for productive work, any system has an unlimited capacity to wait.
> E.g. if one session holds a lock for 1 hour and 2 sessions wait for that
lock fthen you may have up to 100% ( 1 hour in 1 hour ) cpu usage from that one session and 200% ( 2 hours in 1 hour ) waits from the other 2 sessions.