Re: RMAN - Rewind Backup to SCN/Point-in-Time

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:39:38 -0700 (PDT)

Can you show us the exact commands you are using and the output for the duplicate you are doing (both the backup AND the subsequent duplication). Without that, I'm just speculating, though I think I know the answer to why you see it working as you do. Also is the backup done online or offline (database up or down, open or closed, however you call it) :) A backup taken offline has some subtle differences that can make it recoverable without redo logs that a online backup does not have. I assure you. If your only backup ended at SCN 2000, you can NOT restore the database to SCN 1999 unless you are going to be doing some flashback work. Just does not work that way. Period. End of statement. Booyahhhh. :)

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line. Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com