RE: RMAN - Rewind Backup to SCN/Point-in-Time

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:28:35 +0200

Alan,

When specifying a scn number (or sequence number or time) with the until clause, you tell Oracle that you want to restore up to that point.

Oracle will then look for a backup created before that point and then use the archivelogs to roll forward from the time of the backup to that point.

If the archivelogs required to do this are not available on disk, Oracle will try to restore them from backup and then apply them.

In your original post, you spoke about recovering to a point before the last level 0 backup. If you have backups created before the point you want to restore to, you only need to specify the until clause and Oracle will automatically select the last level 0 backup created before that point and start applying later incremental backups and archivelogs until it the recovery has reached your specified restore point.

If you don't have any backups, the earliest point up to which you need to restore, is the end time of the earliest level 0 backup. Maybe that you can flashback some tables as the information required to do so is stored in the undo tablespace, but I'm not sure about this (as an incomplete recovery will issue a new incarnation point).

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator