Re: RMAN - Rewind Backup to SCN/Point-in-Time

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 00:58:21 -0700 (PDT)

Alan,
The point that I've tried to make, and perhaps not very well, is that it's not about RMAN. It's about understanding the internals of the Oracle database. This is about how backup and recovery works, period. RMAN is nothing more than a glorified set of scripts that automate the backup and recovery process and some interfaces into other restore related functionality (like flashback). Still, it's just a backup and backups still, fundamentally work the same way as it did back in the V7 days. Yes, RMAN comes with incremental backups and the like but the basics still apply. If you knew how to backups then, then you know how to do them now. Sure there are more bells and whistles (transportable tablespaces, flashback, etc...) but the basic and fundamental things have not changed.

The other problem is that I think you have rephrased this question at least three different ways, such that it's become three different questions. Thus, your question really is not clear to me at all. Perhaps this is just a failing on my part to comprehend what you are trying to accomplish. I *think* I've answered your question, but I'm just not sure.

If you have some recovery scenarios that are not in the book that you think should be in the book please send them my way. We have a whole chapter dedicated to just those and I'm happy to add one if it seems relevant.

Cheers!

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line. Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com