Re: What is the best strategy to evaluate performance of a big system

From: Allan Nelson <anelson77388_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:04:40 -0500

Your question is rather broad. I would suggest using production to isolate the expensive sql. V$sql will help here. Look at the definition of that view and decide what characteristics you will use to separate the sheep from the goats. v$sql can give you executions and physical and logical i/o's. Is your big system CPU bound, I/O bound? Please tell us about your hardware environment. Is your development system a reasonable fraction of your production? Could you clone by copying the datafiles to dev preserving the data distribution? Can you correlate the perceived performance problems with the state of the OS?

If you can select sql's of significance then get explain plans for the expensive statements and work from there. Remember that a small query executed many times can be a performance problem.

Allan

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Eriovaldo Andrietta <ecandrietta_at_gmail.com