securefile: implementation considerations

From: fmhabash <fmhabash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:44:28 -0400

Hi all,
Would like to ping some of those who have converted to securefile with 11g. I have reviewed the documentation on OTN and MOS and I need some real-life insights into the following points ...
  1. It has been consistent for Oracle in almost all docs to 'somehow' assoicate the storage and performance gains with enabling 'compression and dedup'. Both require some extra $$. However, you need not enable these to still gain these benefits as compared to basicfile. Any comments?
  2. If you have converted to SF, did you enable cache? If yes, How would this impact your overall SGA performance?
  3. I have seen that most issues/bugs have been resolved with 11.2.0.2.3 (our release). Did you run into any of these bugs at all?

Thank you.