Re: Oracle/Solaris

From: David Robillard <david.robillard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 03:53:30 -0400

Hello Sanjay,

> i had one big OLTP environment running on Solaris 10 with 256G RAM and 30+ CPU.
> There are sometime in a day when all OS command are totally freezed.
> Even ls command take several minute. CPU was showing more than 60% idle.
> If I am connected to database, then call to check Db like locks or other query works fine.
> What can be the issue to be checked more closely.
> Also Application trying to connect from outside are affected.

Since your on Solaris 10, you have access to DTrace [1]. If you or one of the Solaris systems administrator is familiar with this tool, then I'd suggest you give it a try. DTrace helps troubleshoot problems on servers by providing new detailed views of the system internals, to a level that was previously difficult to access. Using both truss(1M) and dtrace(1M), one would hope that you can pin-point your problem.

A quick search for dtrace turned out two books [2] [3] and several links to blogs and articles, the personal DTrace website [4] of one of the authors, Bendan Gregg. And the official Oracle page on DTrace [5].

HTH, David

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTrace
[2] DTrace: Dynamic Tracing in Oracle Solaris, Mac OS X and FreeBSD (Oracle Solaris Series) by B. Gregg and J. Mauro, Prentice Hall; 1 ed., April 11, 2011, ISBN-13: 978-0132091510 [3] Solaris Performance and Tools: DTrace and MDB Techniques for Solaris 10 by B. Gregg, J. Mauro and R. McDougall, Prentice Hall; 1 ed., July 30, 2006, ISBN-13: 978-0131568198 [4] http://www.brendangregg.com/dtrace.html [5] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/dtrace/dtrace/index.html

--
David Robillard
UNIX team leader and Oracle DBA