Re: Combo Oracle/SQLServer enterprise DBA Salary Info anywhere (or willing to share a range) ?

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:08:22 -0400

guys who know c++ and java are definitely more competent than people who only know java. Since c/c++ requires you to know alot more. I work with a number of very experience (15-35 years) c/c++ developers who picked up java. They regularly complain about the java developers who only know java. They are having trouble finding people, since they don't like that the java developers don't know what goes on underneath their libraries. there is a good blog entry called something like "the plight of java schools" on the joelonsftware.com blog site that goes into details about it. This is a bit off target, but I have found that developers that know c/c++ are alot easier for DBAs to work with than guys who only know java. That being said, I don't think they make more money unless they go to google or facebook or something like that.