Physical Standby Montoring

From: Uzzell, Stephan <SUzzell_at_MICROS.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 17:51:25 +0000

Hey Listers,
Any cool tricks for monitoring a bunch of physical standby environments? We have 20 or so physical standby databases, and are having trouble figuring the best strategy to monitor them. We do not currently have enough DBAs to sit around watching them.

We are currently using two scheduled tasks to grab the current_scn from v$database, alternating every 45 minutes or so; we then parse the two output files using perl, do some quick math, and as long as there is a change in the SCN, we feel things are probably OK.

The problem is that the SCN does not advance at a regular interval. Some database are busier than others. Some database therefore do not have the SCN advance between a pair of tests; other times one of the scheduled tasks hangs. So we get periodic "BAD" reports that are not really bad.

Definitely not the best system. Any recommendations for the best way to monitor - to only get alerts if / when there is actually something wrong?

Thanks!

Stephan Uzzell